While on my way to the gym today, I had a "aha" moment. I understand why script agents do not read scripts from people they do not know.
BECAUSE so many new screenwriters CANNOT write. The query may sound really good, but the writing might be terrible. This is what happened to me. I am reading a script from someone in my group and it is not bad. It's just difficult to follow and some of the formatting is off. I believe those two statements are objective statements. The fact that it is a comedy and it is not funny is subjective. That I can deal with, but not being properly formatted. That is a problem, and this guy has been writing for years.
If I had to read 100 scripts like this to get a good one, I would just have to pass on the good one. There is no way I could read bad script after bad script.
Now I get it. Before a script agent invests anytime in your material, he or she needs to know that someone they know can recommend you. Then they don't feel like they are wasting their time.
Knowing this, I doubt if I will query any more script agents ever again, unless I have something really, really impressive to say and even then, I still may not do it.
For the longest time, it always seemed unfair that Hollywood was so closed but if you read enough bad scripts, you'll nail your door shut too. I know I would.
Knowing what I know now, if I were a manager or agent, I would not waste my time until the writer had proof that he or she could write.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment